by Pamela Sheldon Johns and Jennifer Barry
from Festive Picnics
(Ten Speed Press, 2004)
Makes 6 tartlets
These tartlets are a summer hit, especially on the Fourth of July. Here, we used both conventional sliced strawberries and whole fraises des bois. Tiny fragrant strawberries that can be grown in pots or in the garden. Their stems, leaves, and flowers make a nice garnish.—Pamela Sheldon Johns and Jennifer Barry
For the tarts
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
For the filling
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced, or hulled and left whole
1/2 cup shredded dried coconut
1 cup fresh blueberries
Make the tarts
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Stir in the melted butter. Press the mixture into six 4-inch round individual tartlet pans, dividing equally.
3. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until firm and lightly colored. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Make the filling
1. In a deep bowl, whip the cream to soft peaks and set aside.
2. In another bowl, beat the cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar together. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture and spread in the bottom of the tart shells.
3. Arrange the strawberries, coconut, and blueberries in 3 stripes on top of each tartlet.
Recipe © 2003 Jennifer Barry Designs. All rights reserved.