Almonds and cherries, a welcome match, come together in a rich, fragrant frangipane checkered with row upon row of wine-purple fruit. This delicious still life is framed by a single sheaf of puff pastry to create a sleek, angular tart.–Bill Granger
Rustic Cherry Tart Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 45 M
- Serves 12
- For the frangipane
- 2 1/2 ounces unsalted butter, chopped
- 1/3 cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the tart
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 10 1/2 ounces cherries, pitted and cut in halves
- Sugar, for sprinkling
- Cream, for serving (optional)
- Make the frangipane
- 1. Mix the butter, sugar, ground almonds, egg yolks and vanilla extract in a food processor until combined. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Make the tart
- 2. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Put a baking tray in the oven to heat.
- 3. Lay the puff pastry on a piece of baking paper on another baking tray. Trim off the edges of pastry (this makes the edges rise evenly). Using the point of a sharp knife, and being careful not to cut right through, score a 1/2 inch border around the edge of the sheet of puff pastry.
- 4. Prick the entire surface with a fork and brush with egg yolk. Spread the frangipane evenly over the pastry within the scored area. Place the cherries, with the cut side up, in a single layer on top of the frangipane. Place the tart on the hot tray and bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the sides are golden and puffed.
- 5. Serve with cream if you wish.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Rustic Cherry Tart Recipe © 2005 Bill Granger. Photo © 2005 Petrina Tinslay. All rights reserved.