Ripe pineapple, with its plentiful natural sugars, is ideal for grilling, and it screams “tropical” like nothing else. This makes a great dessert after spicy Latin, Indian, or Caribbean food. Make sure to let the slices brown; you want lots of those caramelized, almost burnt edges.
Mascarpone is a smooth Italian dairy product with a texture somewhere between whipped cream and cream cheese. It’s used in tiramisu and available in many supermarkets and gourmet stores, but if you can’t find it, good-quality vanilla ice cream will taste just fine.–Bobby Flay
Grilled Pineapple with Butter-Rum Glaze and Vanilla Mascarpone Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 40 M
- Serves 6
- 1 cup dark rum
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 1 ripe pineapple, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1. Combine the rum, butter, and sugar in a small saucepan and simmer, whisking often, until the sugar has melted and the mixture is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. (The glaze can be made a few days in advance, cooled, covered, and kept refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before using.)
- 2. Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise in half and scrape out the seeds with the tip of a sharp knife. Whisk the mascarpone and vanilla seeds together. (The mascarpone can be made a day in advance, covered, and kept refrigerated.)
- 3. Heat your grill to high.
- 4. Grill the pineapple slices, brushing frequently with the glaze, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- 5. Remove the pineapple to a platter or serving plates and top each slice with a dollop of vanilla mascarpone. Garnish with a few fresh blueberries. Serve immediately.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Grilled Pineapple with Brown Sugar Rum Sauce from Cookin' Canuck
- Rum Sauteed Pineapple with Vanilla Citrus Mascarpone Cream from Fifteen Spatulas
- Eggnog Pound Cake with Crystal Rum Glaze from Leite's Culinaria
- Hot Buttered Rum Apple Pie from Leite's Culinaria
Grilled Pineapple with Butter-Rum Glaze and Vanilla Mascarpone Recipe © 2004 Boy Gets Grill, Inc. Photo © 2004 Gentl & Hyers. All rights reserved.