Ripe pineapple, with its plentiful natural sugars, is ideal for grilling, and it screams “tropical” like nothing else. This makes a great dessert after spicy Latin, Indian, or Caribbean food. Make sure to let the slices brown; you want lots of those caramelized, almost burnt edges.
Mascarpone is a smooth Italian dairy product with a texture somewhere between whipped cream and cream cheese. It’s used in tiramisu and available in many supermarkets and gourmet stores, but if you can’t find it, good-quality vanilla ice cream will taste just fine.–Bobby Flay
Grilled Pineapple with Butter-Rum Glaze and Vanilla Mascarpone Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 40 M
- Serves 6
- 1 cup dark rum
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 1 ripe pineapple, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1. Combine the rum, butter, and sugar in a small saucepan and simmer, whisking often, until the sugar has melted and the mixture is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. (The glaze can be made a few days in advance, cooled, covered, and kept refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before using.)
- 2. Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise in half and scrape out the seeds with the tip of a sharp knife. Whisk the mascarpone and vanilla seeds together. (The mascarpone can be made a day in advance, covered, and kept refrigerated.)
- 3. Heat your grill to high.
- 4. Grill the pineapple slices, brushing frequently with the glaze, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- 5. Remove the pineapple to a platter or serving plates and top each slice with a dollop of vanilla mascarpone. Garnish with a few fresh blueberries. Serve immediately.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Grilled Pineapple with Brown Sugar Rum Sauce from Cookin' Canuck
- Rum Sauteed Pineapple with Vanilla Citrus Mascarpone Cream from Fifteen Spatulas
- Eggnog Pound Cake with Crystal Rum Glaze from Leite's Culinaria
- Hot Buttered Rum Apple Pie from Leite's Culinaria
Grilled Pineapple with Butter-Rum Glaze and Vanilla Mascarpone Recipe © 2004 Boy Gets Grill, Inc. Photo © 2004 Gentl & Hyers. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!