To skin the hazelnuts, bake them in a 350°F (175°C) oven until golden brown under their papery skins, 10 to 12 minutes. Let the nuts cool and then rub them vigorously in a clean kitchen towel to remove the loose skins.–Charity Ferreira
LC Chocolate Lingo Note
Let’s be clear about one thing. There is no such thing as white chocolate. White confection, yes. White chocolate, no. White confection doesn’t actually contain any cocoa solids. Nope. None. Like milk chocolate, it contains cocoa butter, sugar, milk, and vanilla. But not the essence of chocolate. Still, we find this truffles recipe quite irresistible.
Special Equipment: Fluted 1-inch paper candy cups (optional, but fancy)
Mocha-Hazelnut Truffles Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 3 H, 30 M
- Makes 36 (3/4-inch) truffles
- 12 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts, (about 6 ounces), toasted, skinned, and finely chopped or ground
- 1 tablespoon Frangelico (hazelnut liqueur)
- Powdered sugar, for dusting hands
- 1. To make the truffles, place the chocolate in a large bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, dissolve the espresso powder in the cream and bring to a boil. Pour the cream mixture over the chocolate and stir gently with a flexible spatula until the chocolate is melted and smooth. (If the chocolate does not melt completely, place the bowl over a pan of hot water and stir until smooth.)
- 2. Stir in 1/2 cup of the hazelnuts and the Frangelico. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm enough to scoop, about 3 hours.
- 3. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Scoop out tablespoon-size portions of the chocolate mixture; place them on the waxed paper. If the mixture is too firm to scoop, let it stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes to soften.
- 4. Place the remaining 1 cup of hazelnuts on a plate. Dust your hands lightly with powdered sugar. Shape each scoop into a ball, then roll the truffle in the nuts to coat. Place each truffle in a paper candy cup, if desired. Refrigerate the truffles between sheet of waxed paper in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Mocha-Hazelnut Truffles Recipe © 2008 Charity Ferreira. Photo © 2008 Karen Steffens. All rights reserved.