I developed this dessert years ago when I was the chef of a Napa Valley winery and the lemon mousse roulade I tried to make for visiting VIPs turned into soggy, sugary glop. Quickly I combined some ingredients set aside for the next day’s breakfast and, lo and behold, I had a grilled fruit sensation on my hands.–Jamie Purviance
Pineapple Skewers with Brown Butter and Orange Juice Glaze Recipe
Hands-On Time: | Total Time: | Serves 4 to 6
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 ripe pineapple
- 1. In a medium skillet over high heat, melt the butter and cook until it begins to turn brown. Add the brown sugar and stir until it dissolves. Add the orange juice carefully, as it will bubble up when it hits the hot syrup. Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- 2. Season with the salt, pepper, and cloves. Cook until the mixture turns syrupy (there should be about 1/3 cup). Remove the skillet from the heat, add the lemon juice, stir well, and pour the glaze into a medium bowl to cool.
- 3. Remove the top, bottom, and all the rough peel from the pineapple. Cut the pineapple lengthwise into quarters and remove the core from each section. Cut each quarter in half and then into 1-inch pieces. Add the pineapple pieces to the bowl of glaze and gently toss to coat them.
- 4. Thread onto skewers. Grill over direct medium heat until the pieces are golden brown all over, 6 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Serve warm.
Pineapple Skewers with Brown Butter and Orange Juice Glaze Recipe © 2005 Weber-Stephen Products Co. Photo © 2005 Tim Turner. All rights reserved.