These dark-as-night, dense, chewy muffins use the intense flavor of cocoa powder for a chocolate lover’s fix. They’re just right with a pat of butter and a glass of milk or a cup of coffee.–Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough
Cocoa Muffins Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 1 H
- Makes 12 muffins
- Nonstick spray or paper muffin cups
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups milk (whole or low-fat, but not nonfat)
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). To prepare the muffin tins, spray the indentations and the rims around them with nonstick spray, or line the indentations with paper muffin cups. If using silicon muffin tins, spray as directed, then place them on a baking sheet.
- 2. Whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl until uniform. Set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until lightly beaten, then whisk in the milk, oil, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the prepared flour mixture with a wooden spoon until moistened.
- 4. Fill the prepared tins three-quarters full. Use additional greased tins or small, oven-safe, greased ramekins for any leftover batter, or reserve the batter for a second baking. Bake for 23 minutes, or until the muffins have firm, rounded tops, and a toothpick inserted into the center of one muffin comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- 5. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Gently rock each muffin back and forth to release it. Remove the muffins from the pan and cool for 5 minutes more on the rack before serving. If storing or freezing the muffins, cool them completely before sealing in an airtight container or in freezer-safe plastic bags. The muffins will stay fresh for up to 24 hours at room temperature or up to 2 months in the freezer.
Cocoa Muffins Recipe © 2004 Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough. All rights reserved.