For many Italians, summer is the season for gathering around the table to eat with family and friends. The days are longer and more relaxed, and preparing and eating food together is an important part of the vacation season. The dishes, including these bruschetta with tomato, are colorful, appetizing, and a little different from the usual fare.–Editors of Phaidon Press
LC Fancy-It-Up Note
We rather prefer these bruschetta as-is, so as to revel in their simple summer flavors. That said, the tomato topping takes well to fancying up, whether you do so with fresh herbs, multicolored heirloom pomodoros, a drizzle of vinegar, white beans, olives, all manner of cheese…
Bruschetta with Tomato Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 20 M
- Serves 4
- 8 slices rustic bread
- 4 cloves garlic, halved
- 6 to 8 ripe tomatoes, diced
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Toast the slices of bread on both sides under the broiler or on a barbecue. Rub them all over with the garlic while they are still hot and put back under the broiler for a moment.
- 2. Arrange the tomatoes on the slices of bruschetta, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil.
- 3. Serve the bruschetta immediately.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Bruschetta with Tomato Recipe © 2010 Editors of Phaidon Press. Photo © 2010 Joel Meyerowitz. All rights reserved.