Few recipes that come together in short order boast sass and surprise. This chilled cantaloupe soup with prosciutto sandwiches is an exception. The ingredients couldn’t be more accessible, and the results couldn’t be less expected.–Renee Schettler Rossi
LC Picnic In a Pinch Note
If you’re anything like us, chances are at least once this summer you’ll decide to do the picnic thing and find yourself running to the store desperately seeking something as easy and lovely as cheese, cured meats, fruit, and bread…but that isn’t cheese, cured meats, fruit, and bread. Just, you know, for the sake of sass and surprise. Behold, your solution. And actually, it’s also your solution to what to lug to work for lunch. Actually, anything portable enough for a picnic is probably equally well suited to take to work for lunch. Actually, come to think about it, what if we treated lunch every day as though it were a picnic? Work may not seem so bad….
Cantaloupe Soup with Prosciutto-Mozzarella Sandwiches Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 10 M
- Serves 6
- For the sandwiches
- 2 small baguettes
- 2 8-ounce balls fresh mozzarella, thickly sliced
- 1/2 pound prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- For the soup
- 2 cantaloupes, chilled, halved, and seeded
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 fresh mint leaves, cut into thin strips or torn into itty bitty pieces
- Make the sandwiches
- 1. Cut each baguette in half lengthwise, then slice each baguette portion crosswise into thirds.
- 2. Place a slice or three of mozzarella and prosciutto on the bottom of each baguette. Drizzle with the oil and then sandwich each with the corresponding top portion of the baguette.
- Make the soup
- 3. Purée the cantaloupe and salt in a blender until smooth. Pour the soup into bowls and sprinkle with the pepper and fresh mint.
- 4. Serve the soup with the sandwiches.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Cantaloupe Soup with Prosciutto-Mozzarella Sandwiches Recipe © 2006 Real Simple. Photo © 2006 Philippa Brathwaite. All rights reserved.