Few recipes that come together in minutes have a lot of sass and surprise. This is an exception. The ingredients couldn’t be more accessible, and the results couldn’t be less expected.–Editors of Real Simple
LC Picnic In a Pinch Note
If you’re anything like us, chances are at least once this summer you’ll decide to do the picnic thing and find yourself running to the store desperately seeking something as easy and lovely as just cheese, cured meats, fruit, and bread…but that isn’t cheese, cured meats, fruit, and bread. Just, you know, for the sake of sass and surprise. Behold, your solution.
Cantaloupe Soup with Prosciutto-Mozzarella Sandwiches Recipe
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 10 minutes | Serves 6
- For the sandwiches
- 2 small baguettes
- 2 8-ounce balls fresh mozzarella, thickly sliced
- 1/2 pound prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- For the soup
- 2 cantaloupes, chilled, halved, and seeded
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 fresh mint leaves, cut into thin strips or torn into itty bitty pieces
- Make the sandwiches
- 1. Cut each baguette in half lengthwise, then slice each baguette portion crosswise into thirds.
- 2. Place a slice or three of mozzarella and prosciutto on the bottom of each baguette. Drizzle with the oil and then sandwich each with the corresponding top portion of the baguette.
- Make the soup
- 3. Purée the cantaloupe and salt in a blender until smooth. Pour the soup into bowls and sprinkle with the pepper and fresh mint.
- 4. Serve the soup with the sandwiches.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Cantaloupe Soup with Prosciutto-Mozzarella Sandwiches Recipe © 2006 Real Simple. Photo © 2006 Philippa Brathwaite. All rights reserved.