These muffins are inspired by a favorite treat: sticky toffee pudding, a British dessert made from a dense, moist cake topped with finely chopped dates and drizzled all over with an oozing toffee sauce. I have to admit, I had an agenda by renaming the muffins. My hope is that you’ll present your beloved with a plate of these one morning soon, and you’ll be invited out right there next Friday night.–Anne Bramley
LC Got Milk? Note
Hey, don’t you think a tall glass of cold milk would be swell with these? Okay, if you want to get all British on us, then how about a spot of tea with milk and sugar?
Date Muffins Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 1 H
- Makes 12 muffins
- For the streusel topping
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) unsalted butter, softened
- For the muffins
- 9 ounces whole Medjool dates, pitted (about 14 dates or 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 cups all-purpse flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the streusel topping
- 1. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar, and pecans. Using a fork, cut in the butter until well combined and the crumbly mixture begins to hold together a bit. Set aside.
- Make the muffins
- 2. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Butter a 12-cup muffin tin.
- 3. Place the dates in a shallow bowl (in a single layer if possible), pour the boiling water over them, and let soak for 15 minutes.
- 4. Transfer the dates and soaking liquid to a food processor and puree until almost smooth save for a few pea-sized fruit pieces. Set aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 5. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar. With the motor running, mix in the eggs, 1 at a time. Add the vanilla. Add half the flour mixture and mix until moistened. Follow with the date puree and, when thoroughly combined, mix in the remaining flour mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and give a final stir with a spatula to make sure all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- 6. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Top with the streusel and press down gently to adhere. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Oatmeal Muffins with Dates, Cranberries and Pecans from Brown Eyed Baker
- 1000 Seed Banana Date Muffins from Shutterbean
- Carrot Muffins from Leite's Culinaria
- Blueberry-Pecan Muffins from Leite's Culinaria
Date Muffins Recipe © 2008 Anne Bramley. Photo © 2008 Tina Rupp. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!