This dish from Rover’s earliest days is one that never fails to please. You will find Thierry Rautureau’s recipe easy to prepare and cook, while at the same time, quite unique. Please note that this chicken dish requires advance preparation.–Michel Deville and Brendan O’Farrell
Rover's Chicken with a Goat Cheese–Herb Sauce Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 50 M
- 8 H, 30 M
- Serves 6
- 3 cups black beans
- 6 cups poultry stock
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 4 cloves
- 6 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bottle white wine
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 9 ounces goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and ground white pepper
- 1. Soak the black beans 6 to 8 hours prior to cooking, in enough cold water to completely cover them.
- 2. Put the poultry stock in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Drain the black beans and add them to the pan with the carrot, onion, celery, bay leaves, thyme and cloves. Bring to a boil and skim off any impurities. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, until the black beans are nearly soft and the liquid has reduced by half, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from the stovetop and keep warm in a 140°F (60°C) oven.
- 3. In a separate saucepan, over medium-high heat, saute the shallots in 1 tablespoon of oil until they are translucent. Add the wine and reduce by half. Stir in the heavy cream and continue cooking until the liquid reduces by half again. Remove from heat and let cool for about 5 to 7 minutes. Strain the mixture into a blender, add the goat cheese and butter, and blend until smooth and fully combined. Return the sauce to the pan, cover and keep hot over very low heat.
- 4. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the rest of the oil over medium heat. Cook the chicken breasts on one side, until nicely browned, turn and continue cooking, until just cooked through. Remove from heat, cut each breast into diagonal slices and arrange on individual plates.
- 5. Pour sauce generously over the chicken slices, add a serving of black beans on the side, and serve.
Rover's Chicken with a Goat Cheese–Herb Sauce Recipe © 2006 DreamCooks.net. Photo © 2006 Christopher Conrad. All rights reserved.