Sweet garlic butter sliding across a sizzling slab of peppered New York strip steak? Decadent. Outrageous. And 100% legal.–Jamie Purviance
LC Slide Your Strip Steak Note
You’ll be moving this hunk ‘o beef from indirect-medium to direct-high cooking for Jamie’s utterly delicious steak recipe. Make sure your family and friends are gathered round the grill to watch the show as you slide the steak, causing flames to lick at its underside. If you want a little grilling visual aid, watch this cooking video starring Jamie and our own David.
Grilled New York Strip Steaks Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 1 H, 40 M
- Serves 4
- For the garlic butter
- 1 large head garlic
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the new york strip steak
- 4 New York strip steaks, about 3/4 pound each and 1 inch thick
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, coarsely ground
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Make the garlic butter
- 1. Remove the loose, papery outer skin from the garlic head and cut about 1/2 inch off the top to expose the cloves. Place the garlic head on an 8-inch square of aluminum foil and drizzle the olive oil over the top of the cloves. Fold up the foil sides and seal to make a packet, leaving a little room for the expansion of steam. Grill over indirect medium heat until the cloves are soft, 30 to 45 minutes. Remove from the grill and allow to cool. Squeeze the contents of the cloves into a small bowl. Using the back of a fork, mash the garlic together with the rest of the garlic butter ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prep the strip steaks
- 2. Season both sides of the strip steaks with the salt and pepper, pressing the spices into the meat. Allow to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling.
- Grill the strip steaks
- 3. Lightly spray or brush both sides of the steaks with the oil. Grill over direct high heat until the internal temperature reaches 145°F (63°C) for medium rare, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Remove the steak steaks from the grill and allow to rest for 2 to 3 minutes. Cut the garlic butter into four equal-sized pieces. Serve the steaks warm with the butter on top.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Strip Steak with Pepper Cream Sauce from The Wicked Noodle
- Pan-Seared, Oven-Finished New York Strips with Balsamic Caramel from Alexandra's Kitchen
- Steak Chimichurri from Leite's Culinaria
- Grilled Flank Steak With Chile Spice Rub from Leite's Culinaria
Grilled New York Strip Steaks Recipe © 2001 Weber-Stevens Product Company. Photo © 2001 Tim Turner. All rights reserved.
Hello. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!