Mini burgers make perfect party food since guests can hold them in one hand. Because mini-burger buns are not easily purchased, I place a piece of white bread, crusts trimmed, in a heated nonstick waffle iron, then press down long enough to toast it and leave waffle indentations in the bread. Try topping with other flavors such as fresh herbs, a dab of ketchup, a sliver of roasted bell pepper, or a pinch of ground spice. There are endless possibilities to add more flavor and color to these versatile minis.–Rebecca Bent
LC What Cute Dimples! Note
Remember your great auntie, the one who used to pinch the dimples in your cheeks till you wanted to kick her in the shins? Remember what she’d used to say? We’re going to utter the same words, “Oh, what cute dimples!” No, not yours. The ones on these waffled slider buns. (Well, actually, maybe yours. We don’t know. We’d need to see a picture in order to say for certain….)
Mini Burgers with Waffled Bread Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 25 M
- Serves 4
- 3 slices white sandwich bread, crusts trimmed
- 9 ounces ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus sprigs, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 thin slices Cheddar cheese, each about 2 inches square (optional)
- 1. Heat an electric nonstick waffle iron to medium.
- 2. Place a slice of bread in the center of the hot waffle iron and press down hard until the bread is browned and imprinted with the waffle design, about 1 minute. Repeat with the remaining bread. Cut each slice of toast into square pieces about 1 inch by 1 inch. You should have enough bread for about 12 mini-burgers.
- 3. In a medium bowl, combine the beef, salt, and chopped parsley, and mix well with your hands. Grab a heaping tablespoon of the mixture (a little less than 1 ounce) and roll it into a ball. Flatten it slightly into a patty no thicker than 1 inch. You should have 12 mini-burgers.
- 4. Warm a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Slick the skillet with the olive oil or, if using a grill, cook the patties on a sheet of aluminum foil perforated several times with a fork so as not to allow the wee sliders to fall through the grill rack. Cook the patties no more than 1 minute per side for medium-rare. If using the cheese, top each patty with the cheese immediately after you flip it.
- 5. Serve each burger between 2 slices of waffled bread with a sprig of parsley.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Mini Burgers with Waffled Bread Recipe © 2004 Rebecca Bent. Photo © 2004 Ben Fink. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!