How I love this creamy, tart, and decadent salad. The aged goat cheese has a velvety texture while the prosciutto adds the perfect amount of bite. This might truly be my favorite appetizer, but don’t tell the others.–Laurent Tourondel
LC Playing Favorites Note
Whichever goat cheese and proscuitto you fancy will work just fine here, although we thought you may wish to know that Chef Tourondel relies on goat milk crottin from Blue Ledge Farm in western Vermont and La Quercia brand prosciutto from Iowa (yes, Iowa).
Prosciutto and Crottin Cheese Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 20 M
- Serves 6
- For the creamy lardon vinaigrette
- 1/4 pound thick-sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the croutons
- 1 small baguette
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 small crottins of soft-ripened goat milk cheese (4 ounces each)
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- For the prosciutto and crottin cheese salad
- 1 head frisée, light green and yellow leaves only
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces prosciutto, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Shaved black truffles (optional)
- Make the creamy lardon vinaigrette
- 1. In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, cook the bacon, stirring often, until the fat has rendered and the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Deglaze with the vinegar and continue to simmer until the vinegar is reduced to 2 teaspoons, about 3 minutes. Immediately add the cream and bring to a boil. Simmer the vinaigrette until it thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. Season the vinaigrette to taste with pepper.
- Make the croutons
- 3. Adjust the top rack of the broiler 4 inches from the heat source and preheat the broiler.
- 4. Slice the baguette into twelve 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet, brush with olive oil, and rub each slice with the cut side of the halved garlic, discarding the used garlic.
- 5. Slice each goat cheese crottin into 6 thin slices and place 1 slice atop each crouton. Press a slice of the raw garlic into the cheese. Broil until the cheese begins to melt and the edge of the bread is toasted, about 1 minute.
- Assemble the prosciutto and crottin cheese salad
- 6. In a medium bowl, toss the frisée and arugula with the olive oil and red wine vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the salad among 6 serving plates and drape the prosciutto over the salad. Place 2 croutons on top of each salad and drizzle the bacon vinaigrette over the croutons. Garnish with chopped chives and black truffle, if using.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Prosciutto and Crottin Cheese Salad Recipe © 2010 Laurent Tourondel. Photo © 2010 Quentin Bacon. All rights reserved.