For this dish, we like our halibut to have a very crispy skin, which we achieve only by using an extremely hot pan that burns the seasonings into the skin and locks in the juices. When you achieve this crispiness, the texture is exquisite.
We use blended oil for just about every recipe. Even plain olive oil, which we use here, can be very strong and in many recipes will overpower the dish, so we dilute the flavor with canola oil. This blend will be subtle and not overwhelm the other flavors in the dish.–Sondra Bernstein
Pan-Roasted Halibut with Caper Vinaigrette Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 30 M
- Serves 6
- For the blended oil
- 1 part olive oil, such as Critelli
- 3 parts canola oil
- For the caper vinaigrette
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup blended oil
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper
- For the halibut
- 6 halibut fillets (6 to 8 ounces each)
- Salt and white pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Make the blended oil
- 1. Simply blend.
- Make the caper vinaigrette
- 2. In a food processor or in a blender, combine the egg yolks, lemon juice, garlic, and vinegar. Slowly whisk in the oil. Remove the mixture from the blender to a bowl and fold in the capers, mustard, and herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make the halibut
- 3. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175C°F).
- 4. Gently season the halibut on both sides with salt and white pepper. Heat the oil in an ovenproof saute pan and sear the halibut on one side until lightly brown. Flip the fish over and sear the other side. Flip over again and place the pan in the oven to cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
- 5. Drizzle with the Caper Vinaigrette.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Seared Halibut with Cherry Tomato and Caper Pan Sauce from Mountain Mama Cooks
- Pan Roasted Halibut with Lemon Caper Vinaigrette from A Food Centric Life
- Oven-Roasted Halibut with Cherry Tomatoes and Thyme from Leite's Culinaria
- Apple Cider Vinaigrette from Leite's Culinaria
Pan-Roasted Halibut with Caper Vinaigrette Recipe © 2004 Sondra Bernstein. All rights reserved.
Hello. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!