Ever since our trip to Charleston, I’ve made these many times, and it is a dish The One and I love. Simple, satisfying, and oh-so-flavorful.–David Leite
LC Shrimp and Grits Hors d'Oeuvres Note
Should you prefer to indulge guests with shrimp and grits as an hors d’oeuvres or first course rather than an entree, simply spoon 1/4 cup grits onto a plate and top with 1/4 cup shrimp and strew with some crumbled bacon. Or for a passed hors d’oeuvres, pull out some Chinese soup spoons and mound a modest portion of grits and a single shrimp.
Shrimp and Grits Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 30 M
- Serves 8 as a starter or 4 as a main
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, left whole if small and roughly chopped if medium or large
- 6 slices bacon, chopped into tiny pieces
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions, white and green parts
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1. In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a roiling boil. Pour in the grits, add a goodly amount of salt and freshly ground black pepper, and stir well with a whisk. Turn down the heat to the lowest setting. (A flame tamer is a great idea if you have a particularly aggressive stove.) Cook the grits until all the water is absorbed, about 10 to 15 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the butter and Cheddar cheese. Cover the pot and keep it warm until ready to serve.
- 2. Cook the bacon in a skillet until crispy and brown, then transfer to a paper towel to drain. Dump the shrimp into the skillet and sauté them in the bacon grease over medium heat until they just turn coral pink, about 3 minutes. Whatever you do, don’t over cook them. You don’t want rubbery shrimp. Immediately drizzle in the lemon juice and mix in the parsley, green onions, and garlic. Take the skillet off the heat.
- 3. To serve the shrimp and grits, ladle the grits into a large serving bowl. Scrape the shrimp mixture over top the grits. Sprinkle with bacon and hightail it to the table!
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Shrimp and Grits Recipe © 2005 . Photo © 2013 David Leite. All rights reserved.