Here it is, y’all! Martha’s beloved shrimp and grits recipe! If you have everything chopped and measured before you start cooking, it takes only about fifteen minutes to prepare. It’s perfect as a one-dish meal for family.–Paula Deen
LC Hors d'Oeuvres How To Note
Should you prefer shrimp and grits as an hors d’oeuvres or first course, simply spoon 1/4 cup grits onto a plate and top with 1/4 cup of the shrimp mixture. Strew some crisped bacon bits over the top. Or for a passed hors d’oeuvres, pull out some Chinese soup spoons and mound a very modest portion of grits and a single shrimp—maybe two.
Shrimp and Grits Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 30 M
- Serves 8 as a starter or 4 as a main
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, left whole if small and roughly chopped if medium or large
- 6 slices bacon, chopped into tiny pieces
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions, white and green parts
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1. To make the shrimp and grits recipe, bring 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the grits and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well with a whisk. Reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting and cook the grits until all the water is absorbed, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the grits from the heat and stir in the butter and cheese. Keep covered until ready to serve.
- 2. Rinse the shrimp and pat dry. Fry the bacon in a large skillet until browned and crisp, then drain on a paper towel. Add the shrimp to the bacon grease in the skillet and saute over medium heat just until they turn pink, about 3 minutes. Do not overcook! Immediately add the lemon juice, parsley, green onions, and garlic. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- 3. Pour the grits into a serving bowl. Pour the shrimp mixture over the grits. Garnish with the bacon bits.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Shrimp and Grits Recipe © 2005 Paula Deen. Photo © 2013 David Leite. All rights reserved.