This traditional Moroccan “bachelor stew” made of meat chunks, onions, and a spice mix that includes chile powder (paprika) and cumin is probably similar to the stews the Canary Islanders brought to San Antonio in the late 1700s.–Robb Walsh
Berber Chili Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 3 H
- Serves 4
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds leg of lamb, cut into 1/2-inch dice with fat removed
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 2. Combine the garlic, paprika, black pepper, turmeric, cumin, ginger, and salt in a bowl. Add the meat and toss until coated.
- 3. Lay the onion quarters in the bottom of a baking dish and add the broth. Put the meat on top of the onions. Bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until the meat is very tender.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Berber Chili Recipe © 2004 Robb Walsh. All rights reserved.