I like piling the spinach salad right on top of this tart, because the cool, slightly bitter leaves contrast beautifully with the tangy, salty tart below. But for a cocktail snack, skip the salad and simply cut the tart into smaller pieces. This is not a particularly good reheater, so make it close to serving time.–Martha Holmberg
Feta and Dill Tart with Lemony Spinach Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- Serves 4
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup crème fraîche or heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, plus 1/2 cup loosely packed dill sprigs for the salad (optional)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for the salad
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 sheet (about 9 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) crumbled good-quality feta
- 4 small handfuls baby spinach or baby arugula leaves, washed and dried well
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1. Heat the oven to 425°F (220°C). In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, crème fraîche, chopped dill, lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and about 10 grinds of pepper.
- 2. On a lightly floured counter, roll the pastry into an 11-by-13-inch rectangle. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat (in case there are any leaks), and lay the pastry on the sheet.
- 3. Wet the pastry edges with water and fold over a 3/4-inch border. Distribute the feta evenly within the border, and then carefully pour the egg mixture over the cheese, taking care that it doesn’t slosh onto the border. Carefully transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake until the pastry is puffed and brown on the border and the underside and the filling is golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
- 4. Slide the tart off the pan and onto a rack to cool a bit. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into four rectangles, so that each piece gets some border. Put the tart onto plates.
- 5. In a large bowl, toss the spinach and dill sprigs (if using) with the olive oil and lemon juice until evenly coated. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice to taste. Arrange a handful of salad on each piece of tart and serve immediately.
Feta and Dill Tart with Lemony Spinach Salad Recipe © 2008 Martha Holmberg. Photo © 2008 Ngoc Minh Ngo. All rights reserved.