You’ll find cavatelli pasta in the frozen foods section of your grocery store, with the ravioli. Many people have never tasted cavatelli, and it really has a taste and texture all its own. For this pasta dish, I took two traditionally paired ingredients — sausage and broccoli rabe — but changed it up a bit using turkey sausage and adding just a bit of tomato.–Allysa Torey
Cavatelli with Turkey Sausage, Tomato, and Broccoli Rabe Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 35 M
- Makes 6 servings
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, coarsely chopped (2-to-3-inch pieces are good)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 2 pounds frozen ricotta cavatelli
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Put a large pot of water on to boil over high heat. Bring a second large saucepan of water to boil. Add the broccoli rabe to the saucepan and cook until crisp-tender, 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain, and plunge the broccoli rabe into a large bowl of cold water. Transfer to a salad spinner and spin dry. Set aside.
- 2. Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a shallow Dutch oven, over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon and stirring often, until the sausage is in small pieces and is thoroughly cooked through, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the garlic.
- 3. Meanwhile, add the cavatelli to the pot of boiling water and cook according to the package directions, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 4. Add the crushed tomatoes and the salt to the Dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- 5. Drain the cavatelli and add to the Dutch oven with the broccoli rabe and the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, tossing gently to evenly coat. Cook for 2 minutes more.
- 6. Serve immediately with the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and black pepper to taste.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Cavatelli with Slow Roasted Broccoli and Harissa from Herbivoracious
- Chunky Pasta Sauce with Sausage, Roasted Tomatoes, Garlic, and Basil from Kalyn's Kitchen
- Ricotta Calzones with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe from Leite's Culinaria
- Broccoli Rabe with Balsamic Brown Butter from Leite's Culinaria
Cavatelli with Turkey Sausage, Tomato, and Broccoli Rabe Recipe © 2006 Allysa Torey. Photo © 2006 John Kernick. All rights reserved.