You’ll find cavatelli pasta in the frozen foods section of your grocery store, with the ravioli. Many people have never tasted cavatelli, and it really has a taste and texture all its own. For this pasta dish, I took two traditionally paired ingredients — sausage and broccoli rabe — but changed it up a bit using turkey sausage and adding just a bit of tomato.–Allysa Torey
Cavatelli with Turkey Sausage, Tomato, and Broccoli Rabe Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 35 M
- Makes 6 servings
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, coarsely chopped (2-to-3-inch pieces are good)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 2 pounds frozen ricotta cavatelli
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Put a large pot of water on to boil over high heat. Bring a second large saucepan of water to boil. Add the broccoli rabe to the saucepan and cook until crisp-tender, 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain, and plunge the broccoli rabe into a large bowl of cold water. Transfer to a salad spinner and spin dry. Set aside.
- 2. Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a shallow Dutch oven, over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon and stirring often, until the sausage is in small pieces and is thoroughly cooked through, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the garlic.
- 3. Meanwhile, add the cavatelli to the pot of boiling water and cook according to the package directions, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 4. Add the crushed tomatoes and the salt to the Dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- 5. Drain the cavatelli and add to the Dutch oven with the broccoli rabe and the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, tossing gently to evenly coat. Cook for 2 minutes more.
- 6. Serve immediately with the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and black pepper to taste.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Cavatelli with Slow Roasted Broccoli and Harissa from Herbivoracious
- Chunky Pasta Sauce with Sausage, Roasted Tomatoes, Garlic, and Basil from Kalyn's Kitchen
- Ricotta Calzones with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe from Leite's Culinaria
- Broccoli Rabe with Balsamic Brown Butter from Leite's Culinaria
Cavatelli with Turkey Sausage, Tomato, and Broccoli Rabe Recipe © 2006 Allysa Torey. Photo © 2006 John Kernick. All rights reserved.
Hello. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!