You’ll never feel the same way about carrots after you’ve tried this dish. Turkish zucchini can be used instead of the carrots, but a teaspoon of dried mint will need to be added to the dish.–Nur Ilkin and Sheilah Kaufman
Carrots with Garlic and Yogurt Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 25 M
- Serves 8
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup drained yogurt (start with 3 cups of yogurt, place in a cheesecloth-lined colander, and let sit at room temperature for about 4 hours)
- 2 teaspoons Aleppo pepper or paprika
- Olives, optional
- 1. In a 3-quart pot, heat 5 tablespoons of the oil and saute the onions, stirring over medium heat for 5 minutes. Do not let them brown or burn.
- 2. Add the carrots, stirring to mix well, and continue cooking for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- 3. Crush the garlic and salt with a mortar and pestle. Place the cooled carrots in a large bowl and add the drained yogurt and the garlic mixture. Mix well and place in a serving dish.
- 4. Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the paprika and drizzle in a design over the top of the carrots. Decorate with olives if desired. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Carrots with Garlic and Yogurt Recipe © 2002 Nur Ilkin and Sheilah Kaufman. All rights reserved.