“Sweet, with a kick” best describes this recipe from Sherron Goldstein, a well-known author and cooking teacher from Birmingham, Alabama. By using cornbread, Goldstein adds a definite Southern flair to this Italian bread salad. This salad is as delicious to eat as it is beautiful to look at.–Sheilah Kaufman
LC Make Ahead Advice Note
Author Sheilah Kaufman advises that the salad portion of the recipe can be made early in the day, covered, and refrigerated. You can also make the dressing ahead of time and refrigerate it separately, then toss it with the salad just before serving. How easy peasy is that?!
Cornbread Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 1 H
- Serves 4 to 6
- For the cornbread salad
- 3 cups stale cornbread, cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- For the honey chipotle vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon canned chipotle chile in adobe sauce, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Make the cornbread salad
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 2. Spread the cornbread in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until crisp.
- 3. In a large bowl, place the cucumber, tomato, red and yellow bell peppers, red onion, scallion, and garlic. Toss to mix well. Add the cornbread and gently toss to mix.
- Make the honey chipotle vinaigrette
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the wine vinegar, olive oil, chipotle chile, honey, cilantro, and the salt and pepper to taste to make the vinaigrette.
- 5. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad ingredients and toss to mix well. Let stand 15 to 30 minutes so the bread can absorb the dressing, then serve.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Cornbread Salad Recipe © 2007 Sheilah Kaufman. All rights reserved.