This colorful salade composée was created in the 1920s for longtime patron Manuel Dinkelspiel. It was retired from the menu in the 1960s but was recently reintroduced as part of the restaurant’s 100th anniversary celebration.–Melvin Rodrigue
Dinkelspiel Salad Recipe
Hands-On Time: | Total Time: | Serves 6
- For the Creole mustard vinaigrette (makes 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup Creole mustard or any coarse, grainy brown mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- For the salad
- 6 large eggs
- Salt, to taste
- 36 anchovy fillets
- 2 heads iceberg lettuce, washed, dried, and cut into 1/4-inch ribbons
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat
- 3 dozen large (21 to 25 count) shrimp, boiled and peeled
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 cup Creole Mustard Vinaigrette (above)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Make the vinaigrette
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and mustard, and season with salt and pepper. Add the oil in a slow drizzle while whisking to incorporate and create an emulsion.
- Make the salad
- 2. In a small pot filled with water, place the eggs with a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cook the eggs for 8 minutes. Take care not to overcook the eggs or you will lose the beautiful yellow color of the yolk. Remove them from the heat. Run cool water into the pot to cool the eggs. Carefully peel the boiled eggs, then cut them in half lengthwise and remove the yolks. Set the yolks aside.
- 3. Place 2 anchovies atop one another. Starting at one end, roll the anchovies into a coil. Place the curled anchovies into the “cup” of the egg white half, where the yolk was. Repeat with the remaining anchovies and egg whites. Set aside.
- 4. Divide the shredded lettuce into the centers of 6 chilled salad plates. Equally divide the crabmeat among the plates, creating mounds in the centers of the lettuce beds. Place 6 boiled shrimp around the crabmeat on each plate. Place pieces of tomato between each shrimp. Place 2 anchovy-stuffed egg halves on the sides of each plate. Place an egg yolk atop the crabmeat and then crisscross 2 anchovies atop the yolk. Drizzle the Creole mustard vinaigrette over the salads, and season with salt and pepper. Serve at once.
Dinkelspiel Salad Recipe © 2005 Galatoire's Restaurant. Photo © 2005 Eugenia Uhl. All rights reserved.