Make this easy and quick shrimp salad for a picnic or a casual sit-down dinner.–Dot Vartan
Shrimp Couscous Salad Recipe
Hands-On Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes | Makes 6 servings
- For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- One 10-ounce package plain couscous
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- One 11-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained and cut into halves
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup minced green onions
- Make the dressing
- 1. Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil and cumin in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Make and assemble the salad
- 2. Bring the vegetable broth and butter to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the couscous and cover. Remove from heat; let stand for 5 to 10 minutes or until broth is absorbed.
- 3. Transfer the couscous to a large bowl and fluff with a fork. Cool to room temperature.
- 4. Add the shrimp, oranges, tomatoes, raisins, almonds, and green onions to the cooled couscous and gently mix together.
- 5. Pour the dressing over the salad. Toss to coat.
Tip: Although it looks like a grain, couscous is actually a form of pasta made from steaming and drying cracked durum wheat. Couscous is widely available in the quick-cooking variety that only needs to be soaked in hot water.
Shrimp Couscous Salad Recipe © 2005 Dot Vartan. All rights reserved.