Spaniards love white asparagus and don’t have second thoughts about using asparagus coming from a jar. The best white asparagus come from Navarra, a region in northern Spain also known for its rose wines. Look for the Denominacion Especifica mark on the label. These white asparagus are prized for their smooth texture and balanced sweet, tangy taste. This recipe transforms a reliable sherry vinaigrette, brightening it with tricolor peppers, shallot, egg, and capers.–Cathy Mantuano and Tony Mantuano
White Asparagus Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- Serves 4 as a tasting portion
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 heaping tablespoon finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 heaping tablespoon finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 hard-cooked egg, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers, preferably salted, rinsed and chopped
- 1 jar white asparagus, 8 to 10 very large spears, in water, preferably imported from Spain (Buy it from La Tienda)
- 1. Combine the vinegar and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a small bowl. In a slow stream, whisk the oil into the vinegar.
- 2. Add the bell peppers, shallot, egg, and capers and combine. Allow the vegetables and dressing to marinate for 15 minutes.
- 3. Lay the asparagus on a serving dish. Spoon the marinated vegetables and vinaigrette over the asparagus and serve.
White Asparagus Salad Recipe © 2008 Cathy Mantuano and Tony Mantuano. Photo © 2008 Jeff Kauck. All rights reserved.