Spaniards love white asparagus and don’t have second thoughts about using asparagus from a jar. The best white asparagus come from Navarra, a region in northern Spain also known for its rose wines. Look for the Denominacion Especifica mark on the label. These white asparagus are prized for their smooth texture and balanced sweet, tangy taste. This recipe transforms jarred vegetable with a reliable sherry vinaigrette, tricolor peppers, shallot, egg, and capers.–Cathy Mantuano and Tony Mantuano
LC Sneaky Seasonality Note
It’s not often that one encounters white asparagus outside of early spring here in the states—or anywhere, for that matter. So if you do happen across jars of the delicate white spears, you may want to consider taking advantage of the sneaky extended seasonality that preserving lends the vegetable. Natch, you can swap steamed fresh spears for jarred.
White Asparagus Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 30 M
- Serves 4 as a tasting portion
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 heaping tablespoon finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 heaping tablespoon finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 hard-cooked egg, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers, preferably salted, rinsed and chopped
- 1 jar white asparagus, 8 to 10 very large spears, packed in water, preferably imported from Spain
- 1. Combine the vinegar and a pinch each salt and pepper in a small bowl. In a slow, steady stream, whisk the oil into the vinegar. Add the bell peppers, shallot, egg, and capers and whisk to. Set aside to allow the flavors to meld for 15 minutes.
- 2. Arrange the asparagus on a serving dish and spoon the marinated vegetables and their vinaigrette over the top. Serve very soon.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Buttermilk Asparagus Salad from 101 Cookbooks
- White Asparagus with Radish-Leaf Vinaigrette from Dorie Greenspan
- Grilled Asparagus, Prosciutto, Fried Bread, and Poached Egg from Leite's Culinaria
- Asparagus with Raspberry-Shallot Vinaigrette from Leite's Culinaria
White Asparagus Salad Recipe © 2008 Cathy Mantuano and Tony Mantuano. Photo © 2008 Jeff Kauck. All rights reserved.