Bread salad is a traditional Italian way to make use of a day-old chunk of bread. When I added shredded cooked chicken and tossed it with a heap of greens, it became a well-balanced meal. Golden raisins and pine nuts are a really nice combination, especially if you like a touch of something sweet in your savory dishes.–Sara Foster
Warm Sourdough Bread Salad with Chicken Recipe
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour | Serves 2 to 4
- For the vinaigrette
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, skin on
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the salad
- 4 cups 1-inch chunks of crusty, rustic-style sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and roughly chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups loosely packed arugula, watercress leaves, or mixed baby greens, washed and drained
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- Start the vinaigrette
- 1. Preheat the oven to 450°F (232°C). Place the lemon, cut side down, and the whole garlic cloves in an ovenproof dish and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Roast the lemon and garlic until they’re soft and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven (but keep the oven on) and set aside until they’re cool enough to handle.
- Make the salad
- 2. Increase the oven temperature to 475°F (245°C).
- 3. Toss the bread chunks with the olive oil on a baking sheet and season with salt. Scatter the chunks in a single layer and toast until the bread is golden brown and the edges are crispy, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 4. Juice the lemon into a small bowl. Peel the garlic cloves, add to the bowl with the lemon juice, and smash them with a fork. Add the vinegar and gradually whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir in the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5. Add the chicken, raisins, pine nuts, and garlic to the bread and combine. Drizzle with half of the vinaigrette, season to taste with salt and pepper, and toss gently to combine.
- 6. Spread the salad on a rimmed baking sheet and place it in the oven for about 5 minutes, just to warm it slightly.
- 7. Remove the salad from the oven and return it to the bowl you tossed it in. Add the arugula and scallions, and drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette. Toss gently to combine, season with additional salt and pepper if desired, and serve warm.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Greek Bread Salad with Toasted Pita Chips from A Veggie Venture
- Bottarga Bread Salad with Butter Beans and Caper Vinaigrette from Local Lemons
- Barefoot Contessa Panzanella from Leite's Culinaria
- Cornbread Salad with Arugula and Herbs from Leite's Culinaria
Warm Sourdough Bread Salad with Chicken Recipe © 2007 Sara Foster. Photo © 2007 Quentin Bacon. All rights reserved.