This recipe, found frequently in Israel, is full of ripe apples, orange juice, and a bit of sugar for a sweet take on the classic and addictive potato latke.–Joan Nathan
Apple Latkes Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 1 H
- 1 H
- Makes approximately 36 latkes
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice, yogurt, or milk
- cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar, depending on taste
- 3 medium apples, peeled and coarsely grated
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Confectioners’ sugar
- 1. Mix the eggs with the orange juice, yogurt, or milk in a bowl.
- 2. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture along with the grated apples.
- 3. Heat a thin layer of oil in a skillet. Allowing 1 large tablespoon of batter per latke or pancake, drop into the hot oil. Cook about 2 minutes on each side, or until slightly golden.
- 4. Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, and serve.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Apple Latkes Recipe © 2004 Joan Nathan. All rights reserved.