Earthy root vegetables become kissed with sweetness and a subtle spiciness when lightly caramelized. Roasting turns the interiors of the diced roots into soft, silky morsels. Tossed together they make a perfect fall and winter accompaniment to any roasted meat.–Maria Helm Sinskey
Roasted Caramelized Root Vegetables Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 1 H, 25 M
- Serves 4
- 20 pearl onions, peeled
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- 2. In a large bowl, toss the root vegetables together with the olive oil and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3. Arrange the root vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet and dot with the butter.
- 4. Roast for 30 minutes, stir, and continue roasting for another 25 to 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and golden.
- 5. Serve immediately.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Roasted Caramelized Root Vegetables Recipe © 2003 Maria Helm Sinskey. All rights reserved.