Chef Gabrielle Hamilton of the New York City restaurant Prune shared this recipe for pasta, which she tosses in brown butter and pine nuts, and then tops with sunny-side-up eggs, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and nutmeg.–Gabrielle Hamilton
LC Pardon Us, But Your Eggs are Dripping on Your Book... Note
If you’re anything like us, you tend to devour food while you devour food magazines, books, and blogs. It’s a sort of 4-D experience. In recognition of this, we bring you this pasta recipe by Gabrielle Hamilton in conjunction with our first online LC Book Club, which features her memoir, Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef?
Brown Butter Pasta Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 30 M
- Serves 4
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 8 ounces fresh pasta, such as fettuccine or tagliatelle
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup pine nuts
- 4 eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and nutmeg, to taste
- 1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 4 minutes. Place a strainer over a large bowl and drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. Set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the pine nuts and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pine nuts to a bowl. Working in two batches, crack the eggs into the butter and cook, spooning butter over yolks, until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a plate and keep warm. Add the pasta and half of the pine nuts to the skillet and toss until hot. Stir in just enough of the reserved pasta water to create a sauce, and season with salt and pepper.
- 3. To serve, divide the pasta among 4 plates. Top each pile of pasta with a fried egg and sprinkle everything with the remaining pine nuts and the Parmigiano-Reggiano and nutmeg.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Brown Butter Pasta Recipe © 2011 Gabrielle Hamilton. Photo © 2011 Todd Coleman. All rights reserved.