All around the Mediterranean you find dips—in a bowl or on a plate—usually assorted, always adorned, and set out on the table before the meal. One of my favorites is made with leafy greens. One nice thing about this recipe is that the greens are interchangeable, depending on availability and season. Yes, each green has its unique flavor, but with tahini as the base, the recipe always seems to work.–Paula Wolfert
LC Your Own Homemade Tahini Sauce Note
In her book, author Paula Wolfert shares her recipe for homemade tahini sauce, which she makes by blending 4 tablespoons tahini with 3 tablespoons of lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor. Add 3 tablespoons ice water, 1 crushed clove garlic, and salt to taste, and process until smooth. Thin with additional cold water, if necessary, to yield 1/2 cup tahini sauce.
Stewed Leafy Greens with Tahini Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 20 M
- Serves 4
- 1 pound young, mild-flavored leafy greens (mallow, lamb’s quarters, Swiss chard, or flat-leaf spinach) or 1 cup fully cooked mixed leafy greens, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup homemade tahini sauce (see LC Note above)
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Ground sumac
- 1. Steam the uncooked greens until tender and drain well. Press well to express all moisture.
- 2. In a small skillet over medium-low heat, saute the garlic in the oil until golden, 2 or 3 minutes. Add the cooked greens and cook, stirring 1 minute. Set aside to cool.
- 3. In a bowl combine the greens with 5 tablespoons of the prepared tahini sauce, mixing until completely blended. Correct the seasoning with salt and pepper. Transfer to a shallow dish. Thin the remaining tahini until it has the consistency of creamed soup. Drizzle over the greens and sprinkle with ground sumac.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Haloumi, Beetroot and Greens with Tahini and Lemon from Lisa's Kitchen
- Gluten-Free Hummus Tahini with Spiced Olive Oil from Gluten-Free Goddess
- Falafel with Tahini Sauce from Leite's Culinaria
- Yogurt and Cucumber Dip from Leite's Culinaria
Stewed Leafy Greens with Tahini Recipe © 1998 Paula Wolfert. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!