These sweet and spicy nuts are addictive little snacks, so spread them around with care. The sugar and red-pepper flakes hit just the right balance of sugar and heat, making them a great accompaniment to drinks, especially Champagne.–David Leite
Roasted Sweet and Spicy Nuts Recipe
Hands-On Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes, not including cooling | Makes 2 cups
- Cooking spray
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried red-pepper flakes
- 2 cups mixed raw nuts of your choice
- 1. Preheat the oven to 300° (150°C). Line a cookie sheet with foil and coat with the cooking spray. Whisk the egg white until very foamy. Add the sugar, salt, cumin, and red pepper-flakes and whisk well. Stir in the nuts and coat well.
- 2. Spread the nuts in single layer on the cookie sheet. Bake until they’re a deep golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes, stirring often. Remove the sheet from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Break up any clumps. (The sweet and spicy nuts be made a week in advance. Store in an airtight container.)
Roasted Sweet and Spicy Nuts Recipe © David Leite. Photo © Kate Mathis. All rights reserved.