This is an unusual addition to afternoon tea. Instead of bland cucumber and butter, you’ll find rich, musky prosciutto and tangy honey mustard and cool asparagus. These sandwiches are a perfect foil to stronger, more full-bodied teas.–David Leite
Asparagus and Prosciutto Tea Sandwiches Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 25 M
- Makes 18 sandwiches
- 54 medium asparagus spears
- 18 slices firm-textured bread
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese, room temperature
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound prosciutto di Parma, thinly sliced
- Honey mustard
- 1. Cut asparagus spears to fit bread slices.
- 2. In a large saucepan fitted with steamer insert, bring 1 inch of water to a boil and steam asparagus until just cooked, about 3 minutes.
- 3. Plunge asparagus into bowl of ice water. When chilled, remove and pat dry with paper towels.
- 4. Spread bread slices with thin layer of cream cheese, pepper generously and set aside.
- 5. Cut each prosciutto slice in half lengthwise, and spread with 1/4 teaspoon or more of mustard. Starting with tip, roll asparagus in prosciutto, spiraling downward as you go. Repeat with each spear.
- 6. Cover 9 bread slices with 6 wrapped spears each, then top with remaining slices. With a serrated knife, trim crusts. Cut each sandwich in half across spears. Cover with plastic wrap until ready to serve.
Asparagus and Prosciutto Tea Sandwiches Recipe © David Leite. All rights reserved.