This soup is a perfect harbinger of spring. Bright-green and fresh-tasting, it can be served as an appetizer, entrée, or even as an hor d’oeuvre, when poured into shot glasses.–David Leite
Spring Pea Soup with Chive Oil and Crème Fraîche Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 45 M
- 45 M
- Serves 4
- For the chive oil
- Bunch of chives, torn into thirds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- For the soup
- 4 cups shelled fresh peas
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock, or canned
- 4 slices pancetta
- 2 tablespoons shallot, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, if necessary
- For the peppered crème fraîche
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Make the chive oil
- 1. Place the chives and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until minced. Add the oil in a steady stream through the feed tube and process until fully blended. Pour into a small bowl or squeeze bottle and set aside.
- Make the soup
- 2. Bring the peas and stock to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cook until very tender, about 7 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile saute the pancetta until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Crumble when cool, then set aside. Add the shallot and celery to the pancetta fat and cook over medium heat until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- 3. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the peas into a blender along with the shallot and celery and purée. With the motor running, slowly pour in 2 cups of the chicken stock through the opening in the cap and whirr until smooth. Work in two batches, if necessary. Pour the soup back into the saucepan and heat over a low flame until hot. Season to taste with salt; if the peas were particularly large and starchy, add the sugar.
- Make the peppered crème fraîche
- 4. Whisk the white pepper into the crème fraîche. To serve, ladle the soup into 4 bowls. Using a spoon or squeeze bottle, drizzle a spiral of the chive oil on top. Crown with a dollop of peppered crème fraîche and sprinkle with the crisped pancetta crumbles.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Spring English Pea, Potato and Rice Soup from Canelle et Vanille
- Chilled Pea Soup with Crème Fraiche, Lemon and Tarragon from Taste Food
- Pureed Pea Soup with Mint from Leite's Culinaria
- Yellow Pea and Coconut Milk Soup from Leite's Culinaria
Testers ChoiceTesters Choice
Apr 02, 2003
Spring in a bowl. This lively dish has three components — pea soup, chive oil, and peppered crème fraîche, all of which have clean and fresh flavors. And then you make it even more remarkable by adding crisped pancetta to the mix for fabulous crunch and saltiness. Easy to make, easier to eat. This soup offers a great depth of flavor with many layers. It also looked beautiful in the bowls. The fresh pea flavor was heightened by the chive oil, and it tasted ultra fresh. This was the ultimate soup. It was just lovely!
Spring Pea Soup with Chive Oil and Crème Fraîche Recipe © David Leite. Photo © Maryellen Baker. All rights reserved.