This creamy coleslaw recipe is reminiscent of that old-fashioned slaw grandma used to make with its sweetly tangy dressing that isn’t quite a vinaigrette yet isn’t really a sauce, either. It really can’t be classified as anything else than…coleslaw dressing.–Renee Schettler Rossi
LC A Little Explanation... Note
This original recipe from Schrage was actually dubbed Cousin Shari’s Coleslaw. With all due respect—and gratitude—to Cousin Shari, we thought Creamy Coleslaw a little more descriptive. But we still think of her—whoever she is—each time we make it.
Creamy Coleslaw Recipe
Hands-On Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes, includes marinating) | Serves 6
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head green cabbage, shredded
- 1. Combine the onion and the sugar in a large bowl and let sit for 30 minutes.
- 2. Add the oil, mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, and pepper to the onion and sugar and stir well to combine. Cover and refrigerate the mixture until ready to use.
- 3. About 15 to 30 minutes before serving, add the cabbage to the dressing and toss well. Refrigerate the coleslaw until serving time.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Creamy Coleslaw Recipe © 2010 Lee Brian Schrager. Photo © 2010 Quentin Bacon. All rights reserved.