It’s hard to choose a favorite sandwich. When I first tasted the Elvis–peanut butter, bananas, and crispy bacon on toasty grilled bread–I knew I hit the jackpot. This recipe is a riff on that classic sandwich that makes an irresistible and easy-to-eat snack, and I dedicate it to all the bacon lovers out there.–Matt Armendariz
LC A Big Hunk o' Love Note
Some like their hunk of burning love big…oh, forget it. We’re not going there. Suffice it to say, you can make the portions of chocolate-dipped, peanut-smothered, bacon-sprinkled bananas smaller, if you please, simply by cutting each banana in half.
Frozen Chocolate-Covered Bananas Recipe
Hands-On Time: 35 minutes | Total Time: 2 hours, 35 minutes | Serves 4 to 8
- 4 pop sticks
- 4 medium bananas, peeled, halved if desired
- 1 cup chopped cooked bacon
- 1 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips, [Editor’s Note: Grated or chopped milk or dark chocolate, depending on your preference, would be just dandy here]
- 1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. Insert a pop stick in the bottom end of each banana or, if smaller portions are desired, in each banana half and place on the prepared baking sheet. Freeze for at least 1 hour.
- 3. Combine the bacon and chopped peanuts in a shallow dish. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over medium heat or a bowl set over but not touching simmering water, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Dip each frozen banana in melted chocolate and allow any excess to drip off. Roll the banana in the bacon-peanut mixture and then return to the parchment-lined baking sheet. Freezer again for at least 1 hour or until ready to serve.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Frozen Chocolate-Covered Bananas Recipe © 2011 Matt Armendariz. Photo © 2011 Matt Armendariz. All rights reserved.