As much as I like big flavors, I sometimes want something more gentle, a little genteel, even. Chicken, French beans and chard lend themselves to such cooking.–Nigel Slater
LC Simple, Satiating Supper Note
This is an honest recipe, one that doesn’t stand in the way of the inherent loveliness of summer ingredients. We’ve nothing more to say.
Warm Chicken with Green Beans and Chard Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 35 M
- Serves 2
- For the dressing
- A small shallot
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Small bunch of mint, stems discarded, leaves finely chopped
- For the chicken and salad
- 2 plump boneless chicken breasts
- A little oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sprig rosemary, finely chopped
- 7 ounces green beans, preferably the slender French ones
- 12 stalks rainbow Swiss chard
- 6 smallish tomatoes, halved or quartered, depending on their size
- A few nasturtium blossoms or leaves, if you wish
- Make the dressing
- 1. Peel and chop the shallot very finely. Place it in a screw-top jar with a good pinch of salt, the lemon juice, olive oil, and mint. Screw on the lid and shake the jar to mix the dressing.
- Make the chicken and salad
- 2. Preheat a grill or grill pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- 3. Brush the chicken with the oil, season with the salt and black pepper, and scatter with the rosemary. Grill or sear the chicken until cooked through. Place on a plate and set aside for 10 minutes, perhaps with an overturned bowl or piece of foil on top to keep the chicken warm, saving any cooking juices that come from it.
- 4. Meanwhile, trim the ends from the beans. Slice the chard stalks into about 1-inch lengths and remove and reserve the leaves. Boil the beans and the chard stalks in boiling water until tender—a matter of 2 or 3 minutes in each case, depending on the size. Dip the chard leaves into boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove and drain. (I prefer to do this in two pans, as the red from the chard water may darken the beans, but it is up to you. Or you could cook the beans first and then the chard.)
- 5. Pour the dressing into a bowl, then add the drained green beans, chard leaves and stalks, the tomatoes, and the nasturtium flowers if you’re using them. Divide the salad between two plates or lovely serving bowls. Cut the chicken breasts into thick slices—about four each—and place on top of the salad.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Warm Chard Salad with Turnips, Almonds and Dried Cherries from Green Lite Bites
- Lemony Green Bean Salad with Feta, Red Onion, and Marjoram from Food 52
- Green Bean, Tomato, and Potato Salad with Almond and Basil Pesto from Leite's Culinaria
- Warm Sourdough Bread Salad with Chicken and Pine Nuts from Leite's Culinaria
Warm Chicken with Green Beans and Chard Recipe © 2009 Nigel Slater. Photo © 2009 Jonathan Lovekin. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!