Chimichurri, a deceptively simple mixture of parsley, garlic, oil, and vinegar, is the melodic name of a classic marinade-sauce of Argentina, a country famous for its beef.
You can improvise a starter from this steak chimichurri recipe. Just cut the steak into cubes, skewer it onto toothpicks, and serve with extra chimichurri on the side as a dipping sauce.–Denis Kelly
LC To Heck With Marinade Note
A show of hands, please, as to who has time to marinate a cut of beef during the week. That’s what we thought. Not to worry. Chimichurri is assertive though not aggressive, which means it packs a wallop of taste explosion even when just drizzled over steak…or chicken…or fish…or some vegetal object of your affection. Just douse it after grilling rather than harness it as a marinade. You’re welcome.
Steak Chimichurri Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 2 H, 50 M
- Serves 4
- 4 strip or rib-eye steaks, each 1/2–3/4 lb and 3/4-inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1. Place the steaks in a large, nonreactive baking dish. Pour 1/3 cup of the chimichurri in a small dish and pour the rest of the chimichurri over the steaks. Turn the steaks to coat both sides. Cover and refrigerate both the wee amount of chimichurri and the chimichurri-doused steaks, turning occasionally, for at least 2 hours or up to 6 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling.
- 2. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct grilling over high heat.
- 3. Grill the steaks directly over the hottest part of the grill, turning and brushing with the marinade once, until nicely charred and cooked to your liking, 3 1/2 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- 4. Let the steaks rest for a few minutes or more. Slice and serve with the reserved chimichurri on the side for drizzling.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Pan Grilled Steak with Olive Sauce from Kalyn's Kitchen
- Chimichurri Turkey Burgers from One Perfect Bite
- Grilled New York Strip Steaks with Roasted Garlic Butter from Leite's Culinaria
- Lamb Chops with Cilantro Mint Sauce from Leite's Culinaria
Steak Chimichurri Recipe © 2003 Denis Kelly. Photo © 2003 Jason Lowe. All rights reserved.