This delicious lunch, dinner, or even brunch dish is from the classic restaurant Bota Alta, in Lisbon’s Bairro Alto district.–David Leite
Portuguese Scrambled Eggs with Salt Cod and Potatoes Recipe
Hands-On Time: 1 hour | Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes, not including chilling overnight and cooling | Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 pound dried salt cod (buy it)
- 7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips (about 6 cups)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 18 oil-cured black olives
- 1. Rinse the fish and place it in a bowl. Add enough cold water to cover. Chill overnight, changing the water several times.
- 2. The next day, drain the fish and transfer to a large saucepan. Cover with water, bring to a boil, and simmer until the fish flakes easily, about 15 minutes. Drain and cool. Flake the fish, discarding any bones.
- 3. Heat 4 tablespoons of the oil in a heavy, large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes in batches and saute until crisp and golden, about 7 minutes per batch. Transfer the potatoes to paper towels to drain.
- 4. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to the same skillet. Add the onion and bay leaf and saute until golden, about 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Reduce the heat to low. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the onion slices in the skillet. Mix in the fish and potatoes. Whisk the eggs, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl to blend. Add the egg mixture and 3 tablespoons of the parsley to the fish mixture in the skillet. Cook over medium heat until the eggs are softly set, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a platter. Garnish with the olives and the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley.
- Salt cod is available at Italian markets as baccalà and at Spanish markets as bacalao.
Portuguese Scrambled Eggs with Salt Cod and Potatoes Recipe © David Leite. Photo © La Tienda. All rights reserved.