A variation on the classic sugar cookie, these brown sugar cookies are just a little deeper and richer than its inspiration.–Gretchen Holt-Witt
LC Cookies In a Hurry Note
You can start and finish a batch of these simple drop cookies in less than an hour. What are you waiting for?
Brown Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 45 M
- Makes 4 dozen
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. To make the brown sugar cookies, preheat the oven to 375˚F (190°C).
- 2. Beat the butter and sugar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and beat well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Place the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a separate bowl and mix well. Add to the butter mixture and beat until everything is incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat again.
- 3. Drop large teaspoonfuls of the dough onto an unbuttered baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake until the edges of the cookies are just brown, 8 to 12 minutes. For crisp cookies, let them cool on the sheet; for soft, chewy cookies, transfer them to a wire rack to cool. Let the baking sheet cool completely between batches and repeat with the remaining dough.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Brown Sugar and Spice Cut-out Cookies from Bake at 350
- Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies from David Lebovitz
- Chocolate Caramel Thumbprints from Leite's Culinaria
- Monster Peanut Butter-Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies from Leite's Culinaria
Brown Sugar Cookie Recipe © 2011 Gretchen Holt-Witt. Photo © 2011 Lucy Schaeffer. All rights reserved.