Accompanied with a simple green salad, olives, crusty bread, and vinho verde, this dish makes a no-fuss meal. When I am in a hurry, or if I get a sudden impulse for this dish, I will use canned chickpeas and canned oil-packed tuna fish. I pile this on a bed of lettuce and lunch is ready.–Ana Patuleia Ortins
Portuguese Chickpea Salad with Salt Cod Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 2 H, 30 M
- Serves 4
- 1/2 pound dry chickpeas, soaked at least 15 hours in 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 quarts water, or as needed
- 1/2 pound dry salt cod, soaked in several changes of cold water for 16 to 24 hours in the refrigerator
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley or cilantro
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, or to taste
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped or cut in wedges for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1. Drain the chickpeas and rinse. Place in a 3-quart saucepan with enough water to cover by 2 inches, about 4 cups. Cover and bring to a boll over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until very tender, but not mushy, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain and set aside.
- 2. Remove the fish from the soaking water and rinse. In a medium pot, bring the remaining 4 cups of water to a boil. Turn off the heat and add the cod. Cover for 15 to 20 minutes, then drain. Set aside until it is cool enough to handle.
- 3. Hand-shred the cod, discarding any skin or bones, and place in a serving bowl together with the chickpeas, onion, and garlic.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk the oil with the vinegar. Stir in the parsley and salt, if needed. Pour the dressing over the chickpeas and toss gently.
- 5. Garnish with the chopped eggs and a sprinkling of paprika. This dish can be served hot, cold, or at room temperature; it can also double as a light meal or side dish.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Salt Cod Fritters with Saffron and Pimenton from Lavender and Lovage
- Braised Cod with Chickpeas & Corn from Everybody Likes Sandwiches
- Portuguese Fried Salt Cod With Garlic-Pepper Sauce from Leite's Culinaria
- Chickpea and Spinach Salad with Cumin from Leite's Culinaria
Testers ChoiceTesters Choice
May 10, 2001
This is very much the traditional chickpea and cod salad from Portugal, which is very delicious for summer days. For those not too fond of salt cod, don’t worry as the taste isn’t strong since the cod is shredded. Also, instead of water, you can leave the cod in milk as it helps soften the strong taste of the salt cod. This recipe can easily be changed to your personal taste. You can add more or less onion, add black olives as a garnish, even use balsamic or wine vinegar in place of cider vinegar.
Portuguese Chickpea Salad with Salt Cod Recipe © 2001 Ana Patuleia Ortins. All rights reserved.