Accompanied with a simple green salad, olives, crusty bread, and vinho verde, this dish makes a no-fuss meal. When I am in a hurry, or if I get a sudden impulse for this dish, I will use canned chickpeas and canned oil-packed tuna fish. I pile this on a bed of lettuce and lunch is ready.–Ana Patuleia Ortins
Portuguese Chickpea Salad with Salt Cod Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 2 H, 30 M
- Serves 4
- 1/2 pound dry chickpeas, soaked at least 15 hours in 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 quarts water, or as needed
- 1/2 pound dry salt cod, soaked in several changes of cold water for 16 to 24 hours in the refrigerator
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley or cilantro
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, or to taste
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped or cut in wedges for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1. Drain the chickpeas and rinse. Place in a 3-quart saucepan with enough water to cover by 2 inches, about 4 cups. Cover and bring to a boll over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until very tender, but not mushy, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain and set aside.
- 2. Remove the fish from the soaking water and rinse. In a medium pot, bring the remaining 4 cups of water to a boil. Turn off the heat and add the cod. Cover for 15 to 20 minutes, then drain. Set aside until it is cool enough to handle.
- 3. Hand-shred the cod, discarding any skin or bones, and place in a serving bowl together with the chickpeas, onion, and garlic.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk the oil with the vinegar. Stir in the parsley and salt, if needed. Pour the dressing over the chickpeas and toss gently.
- 5. Garnish with the chopped eggs and a sprinkling of paprika. This dish can be served hot, cold, or at room temperature; it can also double as a light meal or side dish.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Salt Cod Fritters with Saffron and Pimenton from Lavender and Lovage
- Braised Cod with Chickpeas & Corn from Everybody Likes Sandwiches
- Portuguese Fried Salt Cod With Garlic-Pepper Sauce from Leite's Culinaria
- Chickpea and Spinach Salad with Cumin from Leite's Culinaria
Portuguese Chickpea Salad with Salt Cod Recipe © 2001 Ana Patuleia Ortins. All rights reserved.