Accompanied with a simple green salad, olives, crusty bread, and vinho verde, this dish makes a no-fuss meal. When I am in a hurry, or if I get a sudden impulse for this dish, I will use canned chickpeas and canned oil-packed tuna fish. I pile this on a bed of lettuce and lunch is ready.–Ana Patuleia Ortins
Portuguese Chickpea Salad with Salt Cod Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 2 H, 30 M
- Serves 4
- 1/2 pound dry chickpeas, soaked at least 15 hours in 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 quarts water, or as needed
- 1/2 pound dry salt cod, soaked in several changes of cold water for 16 to 24 hours in the refrigerator
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley or cilantro
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, or to taste
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped or cut in wedges for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1. Drain the chickpeas and rinse. Place in a 3-quart saucepan with enough water to cover by 2 inches, about 4 cups. Cover and bring to a boll over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until very tender, but not mushy, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain and set aside.
- 2. Remove the fish from the soaking water and rinse. In a medium pot, bring the remaining 4 cups of water to a boil. Turn off the heat and add the cod. Cover for 15 to 20 minutes, then drain. Set aside until it is cool enough to handle.
- 3. Hand-shred the cod, discarding any skin or bones, and place in a serving bowl together with the chickpeas, onion, and garlic.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk the oil with the vinegar. Stir in the parsley and salt, if needed. Pour the dressing over the chickpeas and toss gently.
- 5. Garnish with the chopped eggs and a sprinkling of paprika. This dish can be served hot, cold, or at room temperature; it can also double as a light meal or side dish.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Salt Cod Fritters with Saffron and Pimenton from Lavender and Lovage
- Braised Cod with Chickpeas & Corn from Everybody Likes Sandwiches
- Portuguese Fried Salt Cod With Garlic-Pepper Sauce from Leite's Culinaria
- Chickpea and Spinach Salad with Cumin from Leite's Culinaria
Portuguese Chickpea Salad with Salt Cod Recipe © 2001 Ana Patuleia Ortins. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!