Announcement: Discussion dates have been finalized. Please join us for Twitter chats with the author on Saturday, November 5 at 2:00 p.m. EST, and again on Wednesday, November 9 at 9:00 p.m. EST.
Join the LC Book Club as we leave the halls of the CIA, strut briefly down the runways of fashion, then straight on into the daunting kitchens of Chinese-Singaporean “ah-ma”s and aunties. Our current selection, A Tiger in the Kitchen: A Memoir of Food and Family (Voice, Feb 2011) follows Cheryl Lu-Lien Tan, a Singaporean ex-pat more comfortable at first in stilettos than with the simplest of sauces. In this beautifully written story, Tan seizes the opportunity of an job layoff to journey repeatedly home on a quest to recreate the dishes of her native land. Along the way, she learns to reconnect not only with family, discovering generations of their secrets, but also with herself.
We’d love to have you read along, and joining the LC Book Club is easy. Here’s what you’ll do:
- Read the book. (Or, if pressed for time, skim. It’s OK. There are no pop quizzes.)
- Think about questions you’d like to ask the author, Cheryl Lu-Lien Tan, who has generously agreed to participate in our scheduled chats.
- Join one or both of our two discussions with the author on Twitter: Saturday, November 5, from 2-3 p.m. EST and again on Wednesday, November 9, from 9-10 p.m. EST.
- Conversations take place live via our Twitter stream @LeitesCulinaria, using the new hashtag #LeitesBookClub.
- If you’re not a Twitter fan, or just can’t make the dates, that’s OK. Post your comments below and start a new discussion; we’re happy to respond.
We hope you’ll join us to talk about the rich, rewarding world encountered in A Tiger in the Kitchen. In the meantime, if you’re hungry for more delicious literature, why not catch up on these prior LC reads: