This is a very simple-to-ice cookie collection in celebration of Hanukkah. We think that you might find these cookies go down very well at any one of the eight festival nights. Take some of the ideas to use as favors at bar mitzvahs or bat mitzvahs, too.–Harriet Hastings and Sarah Moore
LC Yes, You Can Create Cookies That Look Like This Note
What we’re giving you here is less a recipe—okay, it’s not a recipe at all—than a decorating how-to. We figure chances are you’re an old pro at making cookies, but the decorating thing may be a little new to you. A little confidence is all it takes. Well, okay, that and a steady hand. And, if you’ve never undertaken decorating before, some inspired how-tos. You’ll find everything you need—minus that steady hand—right here as well as in the recipe for Royal Icing Basic Royal Icing.
Special Equipment: Toothpicks or slender wooden skewers for when your outlining gets a little sloppy and needs to be erased
Cookie cutters: Star of David, dreidel, menorah, and rectangles of various sizes for gifts
Pastry bag or a resealable plastic bag with the tip cut off for piping icing
Squeezy bottles in any size for flooding icing
Hanukkah Cookie Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 1 H
- 1 H
- Makes a dozen or so cookies
- 1. Roll out your cookie dough and cut out shapes with the cookie cutters as desired. Bake as the recipe directs and let cool completely.
- 2. Frost the cooled cookies with the Royal Icing, tinting it as desired with food coloring or food-color gel. You can follow your whim or you can take inspiration from the variations that follow.
Cookie Decorating Variations
- To make the Star of David and Dreidel
- Pipe the outline of the cookie. Let set for a few minutes. Flood the surface in white icing or icing tinted gentian blue. Let set. Add details in icing tinted gentian blue.
- To make the Menorah
- Pipe the outline of the cookie in icing tinted gentian blue. Flood the surface of the cookie with the same color icing. Let set. Pipe on the candles in white icing and finish by piping teensy flames in icing tinted yellow.
- To make the Polka Dot Gift
- Pipe the outline of the cookie in icing tinted gentian blue. Let set. Flood the surface of the cookie with white runny icing and then immediately squeeze on spots of gentian blue runny icing. Let set. Pipe on the ribbon and bow detail in gentian blue.
- To make the Starry Gift
- Pipe the outline of the cookie in icing tinted baby blue. Let set. Flood the surface of the cookie with runny gentian or baby blue. Let set. When dry, pipe on the ribbon and bow details in any color contrasting icing.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hanukkah Cookie Recipe © 2011 Harriet Hastings and Sarah Moore. Photo © 2011 Katie Hammond. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!