Chef Mitchell Rosenthal relies on this rich, silken, absurdly simple garlic mashed potatoes recipe as a sponge to mop up the juices from long, slow braises. But don’t think this mash isn’t just as laudable alongside a fancy schmancy standing rib roast or, conversely, an uber practical weeknight chicken cutlet. You can thank us later.–Renee Schettler Rossi
LC Immediate Gratification Note
Anyone else been patiently roasting heads of garlic, letting them cool until you could squeeze the gooey cloves out of their papery husks, them stirring them into your mash? A far less time-consuming tactic, found in this recipe, just may woo you with it’s magical ability to make smooth, creamy, decadent mashed potato goodness infused with the essence of garlic manifest in mere minutes. Just think–garlic mashed potatoes on demand.
Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes | Serves 6
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream, or more as desired
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 4 or 5 pieces, at room temperature
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1. In a large pot combine the potatoes with salted water to cover, place over medium-high heat, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- 2. Just before the potatoes are ready, in a small saucepan, combine the cream and garlic, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, lower the heat to a simmer, and simmer for just a few minutes, until warmed through. Remove from the heat, strain through a fine-mesh strainer, and keep warm.
- 3. Drain the potatoes, then return them to the pot and mash with a potato masher or pass them through a ricer or food mill back into the pot. Add the warm cream and the butter and whisk or stir until well blended. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately or keep warm.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe © 2011 Mitchell Rosenthal. Photo © 2011 Paige Green. All rights reserved.