Sounds a bit like a twist on rumaki? I first tasted this classic Spanish appetizer at a wonderful restaurant in Los Angeles, called AOC, that specializes in tapas. At once sweet, smoky, and salty, the little brown nuggets are a crowd pleaser, the perfect pick-up nibble to offer with cocktails.
To make small shards of Parmesan cheese, cut them from a wedge of cheese with a sharp knife. Serve the dates hot from the oven, while the cheese is still warm, and watch how fast they disappear.–Diane Rossen Worthington
Crispy Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Dates Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 25 M
- Serves 6 to 8
- 18 large Medjool dates
- 18 pieces Parmesan cheese, each about 1 inch by 1/4 inch
- 6 slices apple-cured bacon, each cut into thirds
- 1 bunch parsley, stems removed, for garnish
- 1. Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Slit each date along one side and carefully remove the pit. Insert a piece of Parmesan into each slit. Wrap a piece of bacon around each stuffed date and secure with a toothpick. Place the dates on a baking sheet. (For advance preparation, make up to 1 day ahead through step 1, cover, and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before baking.)
- 2. Bake for about 5 minutes, or until the bacon on top is crisp. Using tongs, turn the dates and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp. Transfer the dates to a double layer of paper towels to drain.
- 3. Place the parsley bunch in the center of a round serving platter and arrange the dates around the parsley. Serve immediately.
- The clever cook could arrange the dates on top of mixed greens dressed with a basic vinaigrette for an unusual first course. Also, try substituting different cheeses such as dry Sonoma Jack or Pecorino Toscano.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Bacon-Wrapped Almond-Stuffed Dates from Iowa Girl Eats
- Chorizo Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates from Evil Shenanigans
- Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Wings from Leite's Culinaria
- Bread Stuffing with Bacon, Apples, Sage, and Caramelized Onions from Leite's Culinaria
Crispy Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Dates Recipe © 2007 Diane Rossen Worthington. Photo © 2007 Noel Barnhurst. All rights reserved.