In these peppery chicken wings, the usual intensity of classic buffalo wings is tempered and usurped by a deliciously, defiantly untraditional blend of beguiling spices. Even better, they’re baked, so no standing at the stovetop getting splattered with crazy hot droplets of flying fat.
As chef David Tanis says of this peppery chicken wings recipe, “there’s something wonderful about a big pile of peppery chicken wings for a casual supper.” Amen to that. The intensity of the classic buffalo wing is tempered here, usurped by a warming–though not incinerating–blend of spices. Truth be told, we rather prefer the defiantly untraditional, beguiling blend of paprika, allspice, cayenne, and clove to the incendiary heat of most classic Buffalo wings. That said, if you crave a more intense flavor, double the amount of ingredients for the rub—both spices and oil—and marinate for the full 12 hours. And if you like crisp skin, leave them in a little longer. If you like your wings tender and moist, pull the chicken out of the oven just shy of an hour. And if, like us, you really swoon to the magnificent multipurpose peppery-ness of these exquisite wings and simply can’t get enough of it, try the spice rub on chicken thighs—bone-in, skin-on—whether as a game-day starter or a simple weeknight supper. This recipe has been updated. Originally published January 30, 2012.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Peppery Chicken Wings Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 2 H, 15 M
- Serves 4 to 8
- 5 pounds chicken wings, wing tips removed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed to a paste with a little salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. Place the chicken wings in a big bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add all the other ingredients and give the chicken wings a massage. Cover and refrigerate the chicken wings or at least an hour or as long as overnight. (Trust us, marinating them for as long as possible makes quite the difference in terms of depth of flavor.)
- 2. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- 3. Place the chicken wings in a single layer in a roasting pan or on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil. Roast until nicely browned and crisp, about 1 hour. If you like your wings super crisp, you can leave them in the oven a little longer for a total of 75 or 90 minutes. Dive into the chicken wings when they’re hot, warm, at room temperature, even cold. Just don’t forget the napkins.
Peppery Chicken Thighs Recipe
- You can use the same seasoning and technique for chicken thighs, if you prefer, says author David Tanis. Simply use the same poundage of chicken thighs.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Peppery Chicken Wings Recipe © 2010 David Tanis. Photo © 2010 Christopher Hirsheimer. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!