There’s something wonderful about a big pile of peppery chicken wings for a casual supper. Remove the wing tips and save them for stock, so what you’re serving is the meatier part of the wing. You can use the same seasoning and technique for chicken thighs, if you prefer.–David Tanis
LC Magnificent Multipurpose Peppery-ness Note
The intensity of the classic buffalo wing is tempered here, usurped by a warming–though not incinerating–blend of spices. Truth be told, we rather prefer the defiantly untraditional, beguiling blend of paprika, allspice, cayenne, and clove to the incendiary heat of most classic wings. That said, the recipe is eminently adaptable. If you crave a more intense flavor, double the amount of ingredients for the rub—both spices and oil—and marinate for the full 12 hours. And if you like crisp skin, leave them in a little longer. If you like your wings tender and moist, pull the chicken out of the oven just shy of an hour. And if, like us, you really swoon to this spice rub, try it on thighs and breasts–bone-in, skin-on chicken, that is–either as a game-day conversation starter or a simple weeknight supper.
Peppery Chicken Wings Recipe
Hands-On Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes | Serves 4 to 8
- 5 pounds chicken wings, wing tips removed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed to a paste with a little salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. Place the chicken wings in a big bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add all the other ingredients and give the wings a massage. Refrigerate for at least an hour or as long as overnight. (Trust us, marinating them for as long as possible makes quite the difference.)
- 2. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- 3. Place the wings in a single layer in a roasting pan or on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until nicely browned and crisp, about 1 hour. If you like your wings super crisp, you can leave them in the oven an additional 15 to 30 minutes. Dive into the wings when they’re hot, warm, at room temperature, even cold. And don’t forget the napkins.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Peppery Chicken Wings Recipe © 2010 David Tanis. Photo © 2010 Christopher Hirsheimer. All rights reserved.