If you think you don’t like broccoli rabe, now’s the time to give it another chance. These days you’re likely to find milder varieties, and here I’ve paired it with a fragrant brown butter. When you warm butter, the milk solids separate and sink to the bottom, turning hazelnut brown and taking on a really nutty flavor. The richness of the butter in this little number is then cut with balsamic vinegar. You can also opt for various types of vinegars, such as sherry or herb vinegar, or even lemon or other citrus juice. Try the sauce over other vegetables, such as Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, or kale.–Peter Berley
LC Everything's Better With Brown Butter Note
We defy you to tell us one thing that isn’t made better with a drizzle of brown butter. (Can’t think of anything, can you? Exactly. Same thing happened to us.)
Broccoli Rabe with Balsamic Brown Butter Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 15 M
- Serves 4
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt or kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Let the butter remain over the heat until the white solids sink to the bottom and turn a light brown and you no longer hear a sizzling sound, about 5 minutes. Carefully stir in the vinegar (it may splatter) and cook for 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat.
- 3. Plunge the broccoli rabe in the boiling water and add the salt. Boil, uncovered, until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain quite well and then pat the broccoli rabe completely dry.
- 4. Dump the broccoli rabe in a serving dish, drizzle with the balsamic butter, and toss to coat. Season, if desired, with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Broccoli Rabe, Potato and Rosemary Pizza from TasteFood
- Broccoli Rabe with Garlic from Elana's Pantry
- Sautéed Broccoli Rabe with Potatoes from Leite's Culinaria
- Cavatelli with Turkey Sausage, Tomato, and Broccoli Rabe from Leite's Culinaria
Broccoli Rabe with Balsamic Brown Butter Recipe © 2004 Peter Berley. Photo © 2004 Quentin Bacon. All rights reserved.