As simple as it sounds, coordinating eggs with sides—even for a short-order cook like me—can be a challenge. I love this fried eggs with crisp bread crumbs recipe because it’s an all-in-one-skillet supper.–Bill Granger
LC Got Eggs? Then You've Got Supper Note
Got eggs and bread and a skillet? Then you’ve got supper. Take this recipe, if you can even call it that. It melds crisp and crunchy with soft and gooey—and it does so to terrific, thrifty, even lusty effect. It’s a handy little supper that chefs turn to surprisingly frequently at all hours of the day and night and can easily be adapted to all manner of crazy cravings and desperate pantry situations.
Fried Eggs with Crisp Bread Crumbs Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 10 M
- Serves 4
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed
- 4 slices ciabatta or sourdough bread, torn into small pieces or crumbs
- Sea salt
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons balsamic, sherry, or red wine vinegar
- Pinch ground sumac, Aleppo pepper, or freshly cracked black pepper
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot, then add the olive oil, bread, salt, and pepper flakes, if using. Reduce the heat to medium and stir occasionally until the bread is lightly toasted. Transfer to a plate.
- 2. Return the skillet to medium heat. Carefully break the eggs into the skillet and cook them to your liking, adding more oil if needed. (The author prefers his eggs with a runny yolk, but if you like yours more like over easy, just cover the skillet toward the end of cooking or run the skillet beneath the broiler for a few seconds. If you’re using a skillet that’s smaller than 12 inches in diameter, you’ll probably need to fry the eggs in a couple batches.) Divvy the eggs among serving plates. Scatter the toasted bread crumbs over the eggs.
- 3. Return the skillet to medium heat, add the vinegar, and swirl for just a few seconds to warm it. Dribble the vinegar over the eggs and then sprinkle with salt and sumac or pepper to taste. Serve at once.
- Fried Eggs With Crisp Bread Crumbs and Wilted Radicchio
- After you remove the eggs and bread crumbs from the skillet, return it to medium heat and add an extra glug of oil to the skillet. Toss in 1/2 small radicchio, either torn into pieces or cut lengthwise into quarters, and cook, turning occasionally, until just barely wilted. Strew the limp leaves atop the eggs and bread crumbs, return the skillet to medium heat, and proceed with reducing the vinegar as instructed above and dribble before you toss the limp leaves atop the eggs and bread crumbs.
- Fried Eggs With Crisp Bread Crumbs and Salad
- After you transfer the eggs and bread crumbs from the skillet to the plates, strew them with torn raw radicchio leaves, frisée, mache, baby salad greens, or mixed leafy herbs. Proceed with reducing the vinegar as instructed above and dribble the warmed vinegar over everything. The greens will wilt ever so gently from the warmth of the eggs and vinegar. Perfect for any time of year.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Fried Eggs with Crisp Bread Crumbs Recipe © 2009 Bill Granger. Photo © 2009 John Kernick. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!