The Cosmopolitan can be a great drink when made properly, but when it’s half-assed there could not be a more pedestrian cocktail. This is a tribute to legendary mixologist Dale Degroff’s version of the Cosmo, which–accept it or not–is one of the most influential drinks ever.–Andrew Bohrer
LC A Tad Tipsy Note
Yes, this is essentially a Cosmo in a shot glass. A darn good Cosmo, mind you. Why a wee shot rather than a copious cocktail? Sometimes we’re in the mood for nothing more than a teaser, a little something to titillate, along the lines of the cocktail counterpart to the amuse bouche. Okay, wait—we thought we could get away with that explanation, but who are we kidding?! We’re boozers. But we’re no longer just out of college, so an entire cocktail can sometimes be something more of a commitment than we can muster most nights. And no, we don’t care how many Cosmos Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha knock back in a single episode. And because this is no longer college, you needn’t toss back your shot. Instead you can sensibly sip it, slowly savoring the sweetly tart booziness. Course, no one’s stopping you from upping the proportions and splashing a standard pour into a martini glass….
Special Equipment: Cocktail shaker and a shot glass
Cosmopolitan Shot Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 5 M
- 5 M
- Makes 1 shot
- 1/2 ounce vodka, preferably citrus vodka
- 1/2 ounce Cointreau or other orange liqueur
- 1/4 ounce cranberry juice (real juice and not cranberry cocktail)
- 1 lime wedge
- 1 strip orange zest
- 1. Toss the vodka, Cointreau or other orange liqueur, cranberry juice, and lime wedge in a cocktail shaker with some ice and shake, shake, shake. Strain the booze into a shot glass.
- 2. If desired, take a match or a lighter to the zest and let it catch fire. Wait just a moment while the essential oils burn and then blow the flame out. Drop the zest in the shot glass and serve.
Thirsty for more? Sip on these:
Testers ChoiceTesters Choice
Feb 15, 2013
Don’t be fooled by the color, thinking this is one step from a Shirley Temple. This is a sophisticated, tasty aperitif that delivers a kick. It’ll definitely give you a nice buzz and excite your appetite. I’d prefer a splash more lime juice in it; I did so and it worked for me. Drink up, boys and girls. Paper umbrella optional.
Feb 15, 2013
Easy, delicious, and pretty to gaze at in a crystal shot glass (or any lovely glass that you have). I didn’t flame the zest, so that’s another reason to try this again. It’s light, sweet and tart, and refined
Cosmopolitan Shot Recipe © 2012 Andrew Bohrer. Photo © 2012 Sylvia McArdle. All rights reserved.